Follow fun updates as well as interesting stories about clients, volunteers and supporters of SFBFS

February 3, 2012

A New Outlook on Volunteering

Last Thanksgiving my sister Pat, who lives in Walla Walla Washington, called to ask me what I was doing for Thanksgiving this year. Whenever possible, we try to get together with our brother who lives in Portland, Oregon.

I told her that I would be working the Run to Feed the Hungry this year and explained what it was all about. Pat, who has never volunteered for anything in her life, thought that sounded like fun and asked if she could come and work with me that day. Naturally, I was very excited to have her visit, and the idea of her volunteering for something, was also very exciting.

Well, as everyone knows, that day it rained, but it didn’t diminish any of the fun and excitement we had working together in the rain. She was thrilled with all the runners, the people she met and amazed at the people that gave so much of their time and effort to help those in need.

I can honestly say, she is a changed person because of her experience here with the Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services, and I love her all the more for it.

Submitted by Dana Shokes, Database Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment