Follow fun updates as well as interesting stories about clients, volunteers and supporters of SFBFS

February 29, 2012

Driving for SFBFS

It was December 10, 2008 and I was arriving home from work burdened with disappointing news for my family. I had just been laid off. With a new born in my wife’s arms and that look of, “Oh no what do we do now,” I felt scared for the future for the first time in my life. Fast forward 2 ½ years and I had become Mr. Mom; diapers, runny nose, doctor’s appointments, etc.

I did what I had to do so we could stay afloat. Life has made me versatile. One day on my way home from helping a senior citizen clean her pond I received a phone call from Steve at Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services regarding my application for an open driver position. I had the interview on Tuesday at 10AM. I showed up at 9:40AM and I felt like everyone does when they go to an interview, “What if this could be the one?” Everything went well, but I didn’t get the position.

Once again I felt uncertain of the future. I know now who got the position. It was my friend Ross Fontanilla. God works in mysterious ways. Two months later Steve called once again to set up another interview. Needles to say, I got it. I was very proud to be part of such a committed organization. Throughout the first few weeks I was amazed with all of the work and anxious to give the best of me to this incredible cause. Driving had always been my forte. When I was able to meet the donors and personally thank them for their help it was great. One day I was asked to help out at one of SFBFS’ food distributions. I enjoyed it very much and it humbles me to say that our clients help me as much as we help them. Hunger has no discrimination nor does poverty or illiteracy. I am honored to do God’s work.

Submitted by Victor Martinez, SFBFS Driver

No comments:

Post a Comment