Follow fun updates as well as interesting stories about clients, volunteers and supporters of SFBFS

February 7, 2012

Meet new staff at SFBFS

With the official opening of Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services’ (SFBFS) new Education & Technology Center, there have been many exciting, new changes and additions to SFBFS, including new staff members. Below meet three of the newest additions to SFBFS’ family!

Aaron Shoup, Parent Education Program Assistant
Q: What did you do before coming to SFBFS?
A: I graduated from
UC San Diego, with a B.A. in Philosophy, in 2008. Since then I have been trying to figure out what to do with my life. Last semester I started the Mechanical Electrical Technology (MET) Program at Sac City College. I am working towards a certificate in MET, with an emphasis on Wastewater Management. That is a job that is very similar to what I did in the Navy.

Q: How did you hear about your current position at SFBFS? What made you want to work at SFBFS?
A: I was referred by the
Calworks, work-study, person at Sac City. I loved the idea of working for an organization that helps the community. Helping people is really important to me.

Q: What are you looking forward to in your first year?
A: I am looking forward to moving into the new building and learning more about the Parent Education
program.

Q: How has your first few days at SFBFS been? What are your liking so far?
A: All of the people here have been so nice. It is great to
work with an organization where everyone really cares. We also have the greatest volunteers working here as well.

Q: What is a fun fact about you?
A: I am a San Diego Chargers fan! Go Bolts!

Dorothina Shields, Youth Education Program Assistant
Q: What did you do before coming to SFBFS?
A: Before I attained my position as Youth Education Coordinator for SFBFS, I was unemployed for nearly two years. I was laid off from my position as a Program Assistant and Childcare Assistant with National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependency Sacramento in February 2010. At NCADD Sacramento I had the opportunity to provide administrative support and child care assistance to women and their families as they participated in counseling and alcohol and drug recovery programs. I thoroughly enjoyed working with the families and staff at NCADD and I look forward to serving individuals and families as a part of the SFBFS team as well.

Q: How did you hear about your current position at SFBFS? What made you want to work at SFBFS?
A: I've been a Sacramentan for nearly twenty years and I've been
aware of SFBFS since I was in middle school, but like many members of the general public I assumed that SFBFS only provided food and clothing to low-income individuals and families in Sacramento. I heard about the Youth Education Coordinator position from Sacramento Craigslist and I was attracted to my current position because it gave me the opportunity to be a part of an organization that is committed to not only meeting the immediate needs of individuals and families but providing them with services that give them the opportunity to become more self-sufficient.

Q: What are you looking forward to in your first year?
A: I look forward to discovering what it means to be food bank-y which Mr. Young explained is an essential quality of staff members at SFBFS and I look forward to being a part of a team of
professionals committed to improving the lives of low-income individuals and families in the community .

Q: How has your first few days at
SFBFS been? What are you liking so far?
A: My first few days have been overwhelming and busy, but very exciting. I believe that I've come to SFBFS at an exciting time when the transition to the new facility
offers me an opportunity to discover how my skills and abilities can be utilized to better serve the needs of individuals and families in the community. I've enjoyed having the opportunity to get to know all my co-workers and what roles they play at SFBFS. I believe that each member of SFBFS’ team plays an integral part in allowing SFBFS to provide low-income individuals and families in Sacramento with quality services that support their progress towards self-sufficiency.

Q: What is a fun fact about you?

A: I love chocolate.

Brenda Wherry, Receptionist

Q: What did you do before coming to SFBFS?
A: My most recent position was with Best Buy in Woodland, where I worked in Product Process, which included Inventory Control, Merchandising and Asset Protection. My complete work history spans the gamut, though, including dog training, kennel management, retail management, 12 years of childcare, student recruitment at CSU Stanislaus and 2 years as a Teaching Assistant/Associate Instructor in the Spanish Department at UC Davis. I also scored standardized testing for grades 3 through 12 for CTB/McGraw-Hill.

Q: How did you hear about your current position at SFBFS? What made you want to work at SFBFS?

A: Since graduation from UC Davis in 2008 I have kept a constant eye on the nonprofit sector jobs on Craigslist. I never gave up my search and was pleased when I came upon the ad for this position. I checked out the (SFBFS) Web site and I was quite impressed! My own volunteer history includes numerous walk-a-thons, canned food drives, work in a food closet, support work for an anti-drug outreach program for high school students and a series of ten short-term mission trips to Baja California to build homes for indigenous families that had been moved from their home on the mainland to work the fields along the peninsula. I love the work SFBFS does and am overjoyed to now be a part of the team.
Q: What are you looking forward to in your first year?
A: In my first year, I hope to gain a solid knowledge of what each of our programs has to offer.
I look forward to getting to know the staff better and to getting to know our clients, volunteers
and donors as well. I am always impressed when I encounter a worker in any position who knows
their position thoroughly and who is confident in their daily tasks. My goal is to become that kind
of competent, confident worker who is an asset to the SFBFS team.
Q: How have your first few days at SFBFS been? What are you liking so far about? 
A: My first few days have been amazing! The staff, board members, clients and volunteers
are warm and welcoming. What I like best about SFBFS is the fact that the entire team is
clearly united toward the common goal of producing lasting results for the clients.
Q: What is a fun fact about you? 
A: I am the proud owner of a Spectacled Amazon Parrot that I rescued from an unfortunate
situation 22 years ago. Over the past 22 years I have tried to teach her to say “I love you”
with absolutely no success. However, after installing Avast virus protection on my laptop a
mere two months ago, she is now well on her way to saying “Avast virus database” because
of the programs’ daily automatic up-date announcements. Nevertheless, this little bird is a ton
of fun and I love her dearly. So, I’m happy to teach human beings, but just don’t ask me for
help training pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment