Follow fun updates as well as interesting stories about clients, volunteers and supporters of SFBFS

February 27, 2012

Joining SFBFS’ Family

I was hired on at Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services in May of 2011 as an Operations Truck Driver. Just a few weeks into my new employment, I was asked to fill in at Guest Services, the area where donors drop off in kind donations such as clothing, food and educational supplies. To my blessing the position became available for full time. After an interview, I was offered the position as Guest Services Coordinator in June of 2011. The transition from being a truck driver to Guest Services Coordinator was fairly easy as both positions were rooted in customer services. Now I navigate my chair for a right or left turn to my laptop computer to do data entry or other work functions at my desk instead of trying to navigate a 10,000 lb vehicle through traffic or trying to park in a crowded and tight parking lot.

I am so grateful for this golden opportunity. SFBFS gave me a chance to regain my confidence after being unemployed for nearly three years and countless job searches and interviews. I am now able to provide for my children and myself and live our organization’s mission of being self-sufficient and financially independent.


Working in Guest Services has also made me humble when I see people looking for help for food or clothing every day. It reminds me that we can all be so close to needing assistance. It also reminds me to be grateful for what I have. I am also blown away by the volunteers who show up every day to help our organization; I now know that they are all angels from heaven. I am also proud to be a part of the staff at SFBFS, who relentlessly help people and who are so giving and caring.


I have the best of both worlds when it comes to family. First, my immediate family and secondly my new SFBFS family, ALOHA NUI LOA.

Submitted by Ross Fontanilla, Guest Services Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment