Follow fun updates as well as interesting stories about clients, volunteers and supporters of SFBFS

May 29, 2012

Letter from the President

I try each day to live my life by example for those around me, but most importantly for my daughters, Dani and Ariel. My wife Cyndie and I have been given the gift of two beautiful, healthy girls. I take my role of father very seriously, making sure I am always available for their needs, challenging them to do their best and exposing them to as many situations as possible. I am thankful that volunteering at Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services (SFBFS) has been a staple in my children’s lives.

My childhood was a bit different. Raised by a single mother, who relied heavily on her own mother for support, I spent my free time standing in line at a food bank, as opposed to volunteering at one. I know my family would have greatly benefited from a program like Parent Education during difficult periods in our lives. I am thrilled to see this new program take shape at SFBFS and serve caring and dedicated parents who just need a bit of help in hard times.
Young Family
This month I’d like to pay tribute to all of the parents in our community. All of the single mothers, working fathers, dedicated grandparents and selfless foster parents who put their children first.
 
I remember how hard it is when you have a new baby. The sleepless nights. Hoping you are doing it right. Wondering what you’ve gotten yourself in to. The Parent Education program provides parents in our community with a network of support, guidance and an opportunity to learn from others, wonderful tools for any new parent. Volunteers and staff in the Parent Education program lead courses on positive parenting and require an investment on the part of the parents to earn baby supplies. These teachable moments turn into life-changing experiences for the parents and provide greater potential for the child. 

I have spent many years coaching my daughters’ soccer and softball teams, joking with fellow parents how hard, but rewarding the role of parent can be. The job seems endless and sometimes thankless. Not to mention, their desire for clothing leaves me feeling pennyless. But it is the greatest job I will ever fulfill. Thank you to my mother and grandmother who raised me during very tough times. Know that SFBFS is here to serve other parents in our community during their most challenging moments. Please join me in making sure support will be there for them well into the future.

Thank you for your continued support.

Submitted by Blake Young, President/CEO

No comments:

Post a Comment