Follow fun updates as well as interesting stories about clients, volunteers and supporters of SFBFS

July 16, 2010

A Toy Story, By Paul Kessler

Last weekend, I enjoyed Disney/Pixar’s newest animated film Toy Story 3.

For those of you unfamiliar with the plot, the loveable Andy from Toy Story and Toy Story 2 is all grown up and is heading off to college, something I see coming at me faster and faster every day. Only one year left of high school for me.

In this film, Buzz Lightyear and Woody, voiced by Tim Allen and Tom Hanks respectively, haven’t been played with in years and since it’s time for Andy start packing up his things for college, he has to choose between donating the toys, throwing them out, or storing the toys in the attic where they will be kept safe.

I won’t give away too much, but there is a very happy ending to the movie and it got me thinking.

I went into my nine-year-old brother’s room and I got out some of my old toys. After playing with them for one last time, my mom and I weeded some of the ones out that were no longer of much use to either of us and partnered those with some old clothing.

I then took all of those items down to Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services and dropped them off at the Guest Services area.

While it was tough to part with some of the glorious items from my childhood, I was able to get my mom to let me hold on to a special few like my Nintendo 64. But I know that donating those toys was the right thing to do and they will bring another kid the same amount of happiness they brought me.

If you are interested in donating gently used toys, school supplies, clothing or baby items, please visit www.sacramentofoodbank.org for drop of times and locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment