Follow fun updates as well as interesting stories about clients, volunteers and supporters of SFBFS

February 4, 2015

Kate's Korner: February 2015

I'm a plant nerd.  

If you had not realized this yet, it is probably your first time reading my blogs. That or you're also a plant nerd and you presumed we were normal human beings with an equal appreciation for all things with roots! It is one of my life goals to make everyone else plant nerds because being one is fantastic.

Plants provide food, shelter, medicine, fabric, beautiful vistas and oxygen! Maybe you do not like eating plants (like vegetables) but you like eating steak? Well, cows eat plants, so I think you really like plants. Love a terry cloth towel after a steamy shower? Well you must really like plants because plants give us cotton. Would you feel deprived without coffee or bedtime herbal tea? P-L-A-N-T-S, my friends!

Since my job is running the Demonstration Garden, I've become an offshoot of a plant nerd – I’m a garden nerd. As a garden nerd I have noticed some peculiar things. I find it interesting how many people dissociate produce from plants. To some folks, it's not food unless it is wrapped in a bundle and lounging in the aisle of your grocery store. I love teaching people what food looks like when it is still in the ground, plus it's true that produce does taste better if you grow it yourself! All that time and effort you put into watching your food grow makes the experience of eating it even more enjoyable. 

I encourage everyone to grow something, anything that they can eat.  If you are one of those people who feels like they don't have a green thumb, please come see me in the Demonstration Garden and I will give you something you cannot loose.

Happy growing!


P.S. You know you're a garden nerd if….
  • Going through seed catalogs is more exciting than writing a Christmas list
  • You walk into a plant nursery with a limited amount of money so you won’t regret anything later
  • Your idea of a fun day trip is visiting a farm or garden
  • You try to identify all the crops as you wiz by farm fields along the highway

Submitted by Kate Wilkins, Garden Coordinator at Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services

No comments:

Post a Comment