Follow fun updates as well as interesting stories about clients, volunteers and supporters of SFBFS

June 29, 2012

Meet Maria Garcia, SFBFS’ Summer Communications Intern


Hello, my name is Maria Fernanda Garcia. I am a Sophomore at Cristo Rey High School Sacramento. I try each day to live my life by example for those around me, but most importantly for my siblings. My parents are the best because they are always there for me to support the crazy ideas that I might have. I took the role of an older sister very calmly when it was only me and my sister, but when my two brothers came, I took it very seriously. I made sure that my brothers and sister were safe, but challenging them to their best and exposing them to as many educational situations as possible. I am very thankful for the opportunity to serve as the Communications intern at Sacramento Food Bank & Family Service (SFBFS) this summer.
           
My childhood is still building up but so far it is great. Raised by my mother and father who work really hard to get us the things that we need, I spend my free time helping my siblings with their homework or studying for tests. I have also been volunteering as a teacher at my local parish. My siblings have benefited from the Youth Education program at SFBFS during difficult periods in our lives. I am thrilled to see programs take shape at SFBFS and that I get to help make it happen.


I would like to pay a tribute to all of the parents in our community. All of these parents work really hard to raise children like me and my siblings. Working father, dedicated grandparents and selfless foster parents who put their children first and give us love.

 I remember how hard it was when my parents had a new baby. The sleepless nights they endured. Wondering what they got themselves into. SFBFS’ Parent Education program provides parents in our community with network of support, guidance and an opportunity to learn from others, wonderful tools for any new parent. Volunteers and staff in the Parent Education program lead courses on positive parenting and require an investment on the part of the parents to earn baby supplies. I want to thank SFBFS for all the support that they give the parents and children of the community. I know that SFBFS is here to serve families in our community during their most challenging moments. Please join me in making sure support will be there for them well into the future, just by giving some of your time to volunteer in the different programs they have.


Submitted by Maria Garcia, volunteer communications intern. Maria will be contributing weekly posts to SFBFS' blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment